Diabetes is With Me [Even When I'm Sick]



Getting a cold and having diabetes sucks. When I have a sore throat, stuffy nose, nasal congestion, and I'm coughing...the last thing I want to put on top of all of that is diabetes. But, I have to.  
When it takes me forever to get to sleep because of my cold, the last thing I want to do is get out of bed when my sensor is alarming me that my blood sugar is high/low.  What I WANT to do is hit the pump off, roll over, and go back to sleep! Instead, I get out of bed and test my blood sugar and do what I need to fix it.
When I'm not feeling well, I have to test even MORE often because it can throw my blood sugar off. I'd rather just ignore it...but diabetes is with me everyday, regardless of how I feel.
When I take medicine, I have to monitor my blood sugar and look for medicines (eg. cough drops) that aren't high in sugar so that it doesn't make me get an unnecessary high bg.  
It goes to show that diabetes can never be put on the back burner. In every aspect of my life, at every moment, I have to think about my diabetes. Nobody told me that this was going to be a full-time, 24/7 job. No break, whatsoever. Doesn't ever other profession get a vacation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve

My Baby Named Diabetes.