Invisible Illness Week


This week is Invisible Illness Week. I want to share more about my disease with my readers. Sometimes it can affect me in a way that no one else knows. Somehow, diabetes makes me into the person I am today.  
1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2007
3. But I had symptoms since: 2006-2007; not quite sure when it was 'triggered'.
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Living 21 years of my life eating whatever and whenever I want; and suddenly, that changed.  I now have to count every carb I eat, and take insulin for it.
5. Most people assume: I had something to do with this happening to me; no, it was in my genes and something in the environment triggered it.  I didn't eat too many sweets, I exercised all the time, and I was not at all overweight.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: If I'm low--and I HAVE to eat some sugar to bring me back up. Especially if I'm in a hurry.  It's annoying to have to eat and wait until I feel better to actually get my day started.  It delays everything!
7. My favorite medical TV show is: Medically related?? Hmm, Nip/Tuck.  I don't watch many medical tv shows. Although, I did enjoy watching 'The Biggest Race' with the Type 1 Diabetic on it.  It shows me I can do anything!
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: literally? My insulin pump. But I do love my iPhone, too. :)
9. The hardest part about nights are: When I have a high or low blood sugar, and as much as I DON'T want to get up--or how tired I am-- I have to take care of it.
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins: Lots and of course, insulin.  Couldn't live without it.  Literally.
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: Well, I definitely think mental and emotional health is important.  I don't take any other alternative medicines (since there's not much of a choice other than insulin!); but, I do write, take yoga, and cuddle with my cat.  Those things help my emotional well-being.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Invisible; I am such a private person...I like being able to choose who I share my personal information with.
13. Regarding working and career: It's tough being a teacher and diabetic.  Although, working with the little ones does help--because it's never awkward when I pull out fruit snacks in front of them.  They're always excited to see what kind of snack I have. However, I am always afraid of being judged in the workplace.
14. People would be surprised to know: That I get extremely frustrated with this disease; I don't show it to the public though.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: That this is my life.  In order to live a long, healthy life--I have to test my blood sugar, count my carbs, take my insulin, exercise, and go to the doctor on a regular basis.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: travel throughout foreign countries; give myself needles.
17. The commercials about my illness: make me remember that I'm not alone.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: eating tons of carbs, and not having to worry how it will affect me.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: I don't really have to "give up" anything.  But, I do have to eat carbs in moderation.  So, it was hard to give up eating a huge bowl of ice cream or tons of candy all at once.  Also, I thought I'd NEVER get use to diet soda.  Oh, how that has changed.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: yoga/meditating & blogging.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: eat a lot of junk food, exercise all day [to whatever intensity I wanted], and wear a dress [without having to worry what I'll attach my pump to!]
22. My illness has taught me: What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: Are you sure you can eat that? YES I CAN!
24. But I love it when people: acknowledge that it is a tough disease and that it takes a lot of work to stay healthy.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: 1. "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." 2. "You don't know what being strong is until it's the only option." 
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Join the online community-it's amazing the friends you will make and learn from.  
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: You have to fight even harder for your rights.  Whether it be medical coverage or whatever, it always seems a little bit more difficult.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Be right by my side; literally feed me sugar because I am too low to even do it; make sure I'm still breathing and ok at night [Love you husband!].
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I think everyone is fighting a battle that needs to be shared with the world.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: thankful that you care enough to know more about me and my disease. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve