Diabetes Exhibit [& Cupcakes]



This weekend, hubby and I visited the Insulin Discovery Exhibit in NYC.  It was a revealing experience that was jam-packed with startling and enlightening information...Here are just some facts that I found thought-provoking:
  • Thousands of animal pancreases were used to create artifical insulin.  I was astonished when I saw thispicture; all of the pancreases they needed to make just a little bit--no wonder there wasn't enough to help save all of the people with this disease.  They had to turn so many people away, only the most severe cases were treated.  For example, they helped save a three-year old child who only weighed 15 pounds.  After three months on insulin and consistent doctor support, the child weighed 29 pounds. 
  • We should be grateful we don't have to go through what PWD did many years ago!  Imagine having to test your blood sugar using this method? Yes, you would actually have to put your urine in the test tube, mix, and match up colors.  Wow, finger pricks don't seem so bad right now.
  • Many of us have our lovely pumps or sensors to help us figure out our blood sugar, how much insulin to take to make up for a high, etc.  Well, can you imagine having to keep track like this?  Talk about confusing!
  • These insulin kits don't look pleasant either!  Besides looking flat out scary--they also look like they might hurt a little bit more than our needles nowadays (that have different lengths and widths).
  • It was incredible to see all the different insulin vialsthat date way back from the 1920's to today!  It's important to remember that insulin is not a cure, but boy...does it save our lives.  I am relieved to have this medicine in my life.  How many of you are willing to share your insulin vials for the next exhibit years down the road?  Hopefully, at that exhibit, there will be a cure...and people will be amazed at what we had to go through now, in 2011. 
  • Technology really has come a long way!  Look at thisold, bulky pump PWD had to deal with! When my tubing gets stuck on the doorknob, or my kitty tries to play with it, I will remember what people "back in the day" had to go through!
  • I was surprised to find out how many famous people have diabetes! Did you know all of these people suffer(ed) from it?
  • I can't wait to get my medal, like the ones dispayedhere.  I'm going to live many, many years with it, and I hope one day--I'll see a cure.  Do you think I can get the 75 years one?
This exhibit, which may have taken some a matter of minutes, took me over an hour.  I began to remember how truly blessed I am to be able to manage this disease.  When people were first diagnosed, back in the 1920's, most didn't have an option.  They suffered from the disease, and diabetes won.  How thankful I am for insulin.  Can you tell?
After this informative 90 minutes, I was able to enjoy a wonderful cupcake!  Hey, I took my insulin, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Baby Named Diabetes.

5th Diabetes Anniversary

Italy + Diabetes