10 Things I Hate About Diabetes


Sometimes you need to let it all out...
1. The fact that I can't eat everything and anything I want...whenever I want.  There's the annoying part of testing myself and giving myself insulin for all of the sugar I intake. Plus the super sugary foods can mess me up.  It can be quite annoying at times!
2. Being asked, "Wait...you can eat that?  I thought you were a diabetic?"  Yes, I am a diabetic.  Yes, I can eat this.  Leave me alone :)
3. The annoying beeping at night when my blood sugar is too high or low.  Can't a girl get a good night's sleep?!
4. It is almost impossible to wear a dress!  The only way I am able to pull it off is by going into the bathroom stall to give myself insulin.  
5. I want to be able to carry a small, teeny, tiny purse! I can't--I've got to carry my testing supplies PLUS extra pumping supplies in case something happens to the one I am wearing.
6. Lows can just ruin a day.  If I drop low, I have to eat sugar to bring me back up.  The bad thing is, my body is screaming "SUGAR!!!" so I eat too much sugar, therefore causing me to have an extremely high blood sugar an hour later. Lovely. 
7. Needles. Needles. Needles.  Can't get enough of them--Pricking of the finger about 10 times a day, changing my insulin every three days, and the ginormous needle that is jabbed into my back...[the sensor that is supposed to help] but OUCH-it hurts!
8. Planning to work out is more of a work out than the actual activity! I have to reduce my insulin an hour before working out, test right before as well.  If I'm low, I have to eat some fruit snacks, then I can work out. It doesn't stop there though--I have to stop about half way through my exercise and test to make sure I don't drop low.  Then, hours later, I have to check my blood sugar again because my bg usually goes a little high from working out. Man, I thought body combat could be challenging.  Fun.
9. Always having to stress about health benefits/insurance.  I can't go a day without it, my life depends on it.  Or, I'll just have to pay hundreds of dollars a month for it.  Either way, it's stressful!
10. I hate the guilt that comes with having this disease.  If I make a mistake, or feel frustrated...it all makes me feel bad and think that I'm not a "good" diabetic.  I'm human and I'm not going to be perfect at having diabetes. Also, the fact that this disease affects the people in my life that I love.  It's not fair for them to worry about me.  
Yes, I kind of added two things I dislike into number 10.  Ten is just too small of a number.    
I also hate the fact that I could keep this list going...and going. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve