Letting Go of the Fear



"I was almost ashamed of my diabetes. I didn't want to tell the producers I was diabetic because I didn't want that special attention. I didn't want to be branded as different. I let my priorities get mixed up, and I was sick because of it." -Crystal Bowersox
Some people are afraid of spiders, snakes, or heights. But, what's my biggest fear? Diabetic judgement.  
After reading the interview with Crystal Bowersox in Diabetes Forecast, I realized that I currently feel the way she felt. For any of you that don't know, Bowersox was the American Idol contestant with Type 1 Diabetes. She didn't want to share the fact that she was a diabetic, and because of that, her health was severly jeopordized.
I'm a very private person--regarding all aspects of my life.  For some reason, I am extremely quiet about my diabetes. I don't know what the fear is--but I think Crystal explains it well in the above quote. I don't want to be discriminated or allow people to think that I can't do something. It's like I want to prove something to the world--but I know, deep down, I shouldn't feel that way. My career is important to me, and I'm petrified of being judged in the wrong way. If someone sees me testing or taking insulin...sometimes I would rather not share that part of myself in the workplace.  
I don't want to get handed a sympathy card & have people feel sorry for me. [Aw, it's ok, she hasdiabetes.]
I don't want people to start asking, 'You're allowed to eat that?' [YES, I can.]
I don't want people saying, 'I could never do that.' [I would have thought that many years ago, too. It's life, and you do what you need to do to survive.]
I just want to say to the world: "Hi, My name is Joanna, and I am a Type 1 Diabetic. Go under my skin, and reach in...this is what you'll find...
How does everyone else get past this in the workplace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve