Spain, Morocco, & Diabetes



My husband and I just got back from a trip to Spain and Morocco. It's always a struggle to pack diabetic supplies...especially for an international vacation.  For this trip, I created my own little travel package of supplies. When I made my list for the trip...it quickly became a mile long: fruit snacks, emergency glucagon pen, insulin, insulin pens, needles, syringles, batteries, glucose sensors, test strips, lancets, and an extra test meter. Oh how fun!
It was no trouble going through security; I had my doctor's note right on me. When leaving the United States, I told them I had a pump on before going through security. It's a good thing a did--because with my pump, I couldn't go through the x-ray machine. Instead, I went through the metal detector. They also wiped my hands with wipes and a tiny machine for any type of...residue? 
I only dropped low once--but once was enough! After trudging along the streets of Granada, I felt extremely weak.  Once my shaky hands were able to get blood on the test strip, I saw a big ugly 35 staring back at me. Eeek. My husband and I had to stop on the street for me to stuff three fruit roll ups down my throat. People walked by me, looking akwardly my way (or at least I assumed they were)...they must have thought I was nuts!
I had a couple of really great days there, in regards to my blood sugar. It was very difficult to keep my numbers steady. All of the food in Spain is fried and greasy (for the most part).  Even if I did get something packaged, which was rare, I had to figure out where and what the carbs were in Spanish! With all of the walking I was doing...I'm actually lucky I did not drop low more often. I was carrying this around Europe.  Yeah, I am pretty tough! Even though my numbers weren't "ideal," I did my best and kept myself in what I believe was a "safe range." 
I can't even describe in words how incredible our trip to Spain and Morocco was! It's unbelievable when you are lucky enough to experience new and exciting cultures and immerse yourself in a different way of life. I was able to do this all with my husband...and meet some pretty awesome people along the way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve