Diabetes Blog Week [Day 3]


Today's Prompt:  Today we’re going to share our most memorable diabetes day. You can take this anywhere…. your or your loved one’s diagnosis, a bad low, a bad high, a big success, any day that you’d like to share.
"You need to get to the hospital right now.  Don't make any stops.  Go from here to there immediately. Which hospital would you like to go to?  I will call them and tell them you are on your way."  
Panic set in when I heard the doctor at Emergency One tell me those five lines.  I knew my life was going to change forever from the seriousness in his voice.  Luckily, I had my boyfriend, soon to be fiancé/husband, by my side.  I couldn't have handled it alone.

The next couple of days were a blur to me.  I cannot describe in words the amount of confusion and stress that I felt.  The lack of empathy from the doctors in the hospital was discouraging.  They said my life was going to change drastically (which it was)...and that "this is your life now."  They told me things I couldn't eat and activities I couldn't do.

I soon found out--that wasn't true.  Yes, my life changed immensely.  Yes, it is my life now.  But I CAN do anything I want and eat anything I want.  Just think, only a few days into being a Type 1 Diabetic...and I was hearing all the negatives (from doctors to say the least!)
This day will forever be engrained in my memory...like a song you can't get out of your head.  I embrace this day because it showed me how strong I was.  I was always so scared of needles, and then I had to learn to jab myself with a needle in a matter of a day! Yeah, I'd say that takes a pretty tough person!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve