I Wasn't Told...


Doctors don't tell you how to cope with medical bills--owing hundreds of dollars for pump supplies. Think for a moment about the thousandsof dollars my insurance company pays and hundreds that I shell out--just to lead a 'normal' life!
No, doctors don't tell you how to handle the fact that you have to pay outrageous amounts of money for all the little things: AAA batteries, alcohol swabs, glucose tabs, & bandaids. Those supplies aren't covered by insurance. How little we hear of the financial burden for diabetics.
Doctors don't warn you about the extra money you will have to provide for healthy meals. Sure--eating pasta, pizza, and all of the other wonderful carbs are cheaper...but how much is my health worth? So--the fruits, veggies, meats, fish, and almonds that help me stay a strong diabetic, also empties my wallet. Diabetics don't have the option to eat "cheaply," since cheap = crazy, uncontrollable bg's.
Oh, how nice it would be if I was told that I'd spend hours upon hours of my life on the phone--fighting for my rights. The right to be covered for this horrible disease.  
Doctors don't tell you how much money you will put out for doctors appointments.  Your general doctor, endocronologist, optometrist, dietician--just to name a few.  Copays, deductibles, coinsurance, in network/out of network--I've got numbers and terminology coming out of my ears!
The endocronologists don't tell me, because they showme: 

  • They're there for me (when I upload my blood glucose numbers and they give me the feedback I needimmediately.)
  • Constant encouragement ("You're doing great!")
  • I deserve the best health and that they'll fight for me! ("She needs the glucose sensor because it canliterally save her life!")
  • They feel my economic pain ("Here's some samples (of insulin, etc.) to help get you through.")

Thank you, my wonderful & supportive group of endocronologists. I'm lucky to have you in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve