Ch ch ch changes



If you could change one thing about diabetes, what would it be?
     Obviously I would want to have a cure...not have to deal with this disease day in and day out.  But, otherwise, I would say that I would like to eat what I want, when I want, and however much I want...without those nasty highs hours later!  If only it were as easy as counting carbs and taking the correct amount of insulin.  Truth is, there are a variety of foods that have an effect on blood sugar later on.  Some of my favorite foods are effected, unfortunately.  This includes pizza, bagels, chips, cookies, and candy.  We all want what we shouldn’t or can’t have.  Yes, I know I can eat whatever I want.  This is true--but I have to do it all in moderation.  How is that fair?  If I want to eat three slices of pizza, why can’t I?  If I want to consume a bunch of Oreos, I should be able to!  Or if I want to eat some raw cookie dough...or a big bagel for lunch....I shouldn’t have to feel like crap later on!  Well, I can’t...without ugly consequences.      
     Those highs, are not worth any amount of food I eat.  Seeing a constant blood sugar in the 300’s is not fun.  I get headaches, sleepy, my eyes get irritated.  Is it worth it?  Not really.  I look at the package and count those carbs...give myself the insulin that I need.  But usually, I spike a high later on.  I’ve learned the “sweets” that I can eat that don’t have an effect on my blood sugar--Reeses, Hershey’s...things that are not super high in sugar.  I don’t like that I am being controlled on what to eat--this frustrates me!  I would definitely like to get rid of those annoying highs!  No fun at all!  
     For all those others out there with diabetes...what would you change about the disease if you could?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve