Eating Your Treats Can Be Tricky [When You're a Diabetic]



As an avid cupcake and sugar lover, I know what a difficult time Halloween can cause!  Having bags of delectables around the house can be tempting for a diabetic. I have come up with some strategies that might be helpful to my fellow diabetics, especially the parents of diabetic children out there.
One of the most important words that I have learned as a diabetic is moderation.  You can eat anything, and I mean anything, that you want in moderation.  Nothing is off limits.  Just limit how much you eat.  So have that candy on Halloween; but don't eat every piece that you have in the bag.  I find that I can consume more candies (at a time) that are low in sugar, for example, Reeses or Hersheys.  However, candies like Starburst or Skittles, I have to really watch, because they spike my blood sugar.  So, for parents, I suggest giving your children what they can eat and storing away the rest of it.  No need to have that candy sitting out and in diabetic reach! 
Another useful tip is to add exercise into your schedule. If you plan on eating more carbohydrates than usual, plan to take a walk or do some kind of physical exercise.  This is the perfect season for that! Sometimes, when my blood sugar is higher than normal, I go for a walk, and it "naturally" brings me down to where I should be.
A fun idea for children is to make arts and crafts projects using leftover candy.  This can be something fun for kids, and this way, they are still using the leftover candy that they have!  
Don't deprive yourself or a loved one of what they want. It's not fair to them.  It isn't their fault that they have this disease, and so they should be able to do and eat everything that non-diabetics are able to.  Any other tips or tricks that my fellow diabetics have for Halloween?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve