Italy + Diabetes


After reflecting back on my honeymoon, I think about the effects of diabetes and traveling.  My husband and I went to Florence & Rome, Italy on our honeymoon--among a few other beautiful European countries [Germany, Austria]!  I found that Italy was definitely the most difficult to balance my blood sugar with the food.  Carbs, carbs, carbs!  
How can you resist the delicious gelato?  The flavors vary from mint, strawberry, melon, chocolate, tiramisu, banana, & more!  Not to mention, the gelato has fresh fruit perfectly placed in the gelato, which makes it look even more appetizing!  
How can you say no to the homemade pasta filled with cheeses and meats, and topped with cheese or tomato sauce?  The pasta was almost as tall as me!  How could you pass up the oozing-cheese covered pizza with a warm-risen crust?  
How can you not give in to the pastries which are covered in sugar and a dollop of icing on top?  Or the ones that are swirled with cinnamon and topped with baked apples?
How can you refrain from the cheesecake coated with fresh sliced strawberries and sauce?  Or ‘Nonna’s Cake,’ which is a delicious white cake with almonds and mountains of powdered sugar on top?  What about the cannolis that look so fresh, it seems as though they just came out of the oven?  They are perfectly-shaped shells with sweet ricotta cheese, and fresh fruit placed on each end of the dessert.    
Can you help that my blood sugar was a little out of whack?  As my doctor said to me...it was my honeymoon and I don’t eat like that every day.  But, boy, did I sure enjoy it while I was there!  I don’t think any diabetic could live there and keep their blood sugar under control!  Thank goodness I was just there for a few days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5th Diabetes Anniversary

My Baby Named Diabetes.

Diabetes Blog Week: One Thing to Improve